Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fur

Many celebrities are known to wear fur, because it is often used to make luxurious coats and jackets and for trims and accessories.  Consumers often value fur for its warmth and beauty, and wear it because it can often be a status symbol.  Five of the biggest celebrities who are known for wearing fur are Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elizabeth Hurley, and Kanye West.





















The cost of fur can vary because it depends on the rarity of the animal from which it came from.  The fur quality also relates to it's softness, color, luster, fluffiness, and density of the fur.  The fur from female animals tend to be softer and more desirable than the fur from males.  All furs go through an extensive process which helps explain why the cost of fur garments is so high.  Some of the most common animals used for fur garments are chinchillas, foxes, minks, rabbits, and raccoons.












Animal rights activists are becoming very popular because they oppose the wearing of fur due to the fact that it requires killing the animal for its coat.  One organization that is very popular is PETA, which stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.  Many celebrities have started participating in PETA's ads.






















Whether you are a fur wearer or believe in the ethical treatment of animals, fur is a very big industry in the apparel world.

Please comment on my blog and let me know how you feel about whether you would wear fur or are more interested in the ethical treatment of animals:

a) I will never wear fur. It is unethical to animals.
b) It is okay to have a few pieces of fur.  I'm sure they weren't hurt too badly.
c) I love my fur clothing! I couldn't live without it.

1 comment:

  1. Although I do believe that killing animals specifically for their coats is wrong, I think that if the animal is used in other ways, like food, it can be okay. I would never wear fur from a bunny rabbit that was just killed for his coat, but I would wear shoes that have cow hair on it (maybe printed to look like cheetah print) because the cow was most likely also killed for its meat. However, how do we really know if the animal was killed specifically for its fur or for other purposes as well? I do wear leather all the time, and I think the same question also applies. In regards to leather I find it interesting that some people buy leather products, but are "against wearing fur." What's the difference?

    ReplyDelete